Saturday , January 16 2021

Anthony Joshua taking £56MILLION pay cut to fight Kubrat Pulev compared to massive purse he received for Andy Ruiz Jr rematch in Saudi Arabia

Anthony Joshua will take a £56MILLION pay cut when he defends his world titles against Kubrat Pulev, according to reports.

The Brit will end his 12-month absence from the ring this Saturday night at the SSE Arena in Wembley when he faces Pulev for the WBA, WBO and IBF world heavyweight titles.

Anthony Joshua will make £56million LESS than his rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr

Matchroom Boxing
3

Anthony Joshua will make £56million LESS than his rematch with Andy Ruiz Jr

Joshua has not fought since his money-spinning rematch against Andy Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia last December when he coasted to a decision victory to reclaim his throne and become a two-time world heavyweight champion.

Of course, the impact of the coronavirus has hampered businesses across the globe and the world of boxing is not exempt by any stretch of the imagination.

Last year, it was reported the 31-year-old pocketed a whopping £66m against Ruiz, while the Mexican-American had to make do with a paltry £10m.

However, The Telegraph claim that is how much Joshua is getting paid this weekend against 39-year-old Pulev, who will make roughly a third of that.

Joshua regained his WBA, WBO and IBF world titles in style in Saudi Arabia

Matchroom Boxing
3

Joshua regained his WBA, WBO and IBF world titles in style in Saudi Arabia

The two men were originally scheduled to fight in the autumn of 2017 after Joshua knocked out Wladimir Klitschko at Wembley, but the Bulgarian veteran was ruled out through injury.

Speaking to talkSPORT.com before the fight, former world cruiserweight champion Johnny Nelson revealed Pulev could have simply taken the money for the fight three years ago, but chose to pull out as he was desperate to win.

He said: “Pulev is strong, he is ambitious and he could have taken this fight three years ago and he said to us that, before he pulled out, he told his coach he was going for the win and not the money.

“So he pulled out and he could have got paid three times more than what he is getting paid on Saturday, so this guy is coming in for the win and not the money.

Kubrat Pulev is the mandatory challenger for Joshua’s belts

Getty – Contributor
3

Kubrat Pulev is the mandatory challenger for Joshua’s belts

Johnny Nelson claims Anthony Joshua deserves more respect respect for having better CV than Tyson Fury

“That tells me a hell of a lot about a fighter and I am quite sure his confidence has shot up a little bit more because he has seen there is a blueprint to beating Anthony Joshua.

“Before, Anthony Joshua seemed unbeatable. So I think he will throw all his eggs in one basket and give it his all.

“This has got to be his career-best performance otherwise it is likely his last performance at world level.”

This Article was First Published on TalkSPORTS.com

About admin

Check Also

Nothing can stop Tyson Fury vs Anthony Joshua in 2021, says Bob Arum, as AJ shows off devastating power in the gym

There is nothing that can stop the fight between Anthony Joshua and Tyson Fury in …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

//stawhoph.com/afu.php?zoneid=2684180