Here is a round-up of the best of today’s boxing news…
Fury gives Joshua warning
Tyson Fury has told Anthony Joshua he can forget about a fight if he loses his rematch to Andy Ruiz Jr.
The Watford-born bruiser attempts to regain his world heavyweight titles against Ruiz Jr in Saudi Arabia on December 7, having suffered a shock loss to the Mexican in New York in June.
“Well, if he gets knocked out again there’s no chance, is there, that’s for sure,” said Fury ahead of his appearance in WWE’s ‘Crown Jewel’ event in Saudi Arabia on October 31.
“If we were to fight, if he did win this fight, then all my fights have to be in America now, so unless they’re willing to travel to the US, which after his last visit, I don’t think he’ll be too happy on going, then it’s not happening any time soon, that’s for sure.
“Not very near future no, but never say never.”
Taylor wants undisputed world title fight
Josh Taylor admits he would love to treat Scotland to an undisputed world title fight more than he would like to see his name up in lights in America’s iconic boxing venues.
The East Lothian fighter has his sights set on facing Jose Ramirez for the right to be crowned the only world super-lightweight champion after his classic victory over Regis Prograis.
The 28-year-old left London’s O2 Arena with the IBF, WBA and Ring Magazine belts along with the World Boxing Super Series Ali Trophy after a majority points decision following a stylish and driven performance.
Ramirez holds the WBC and WBO belts and appears open to the prospect of a super fight.
Taylor told Sky Sports: “The fight I want next is to go for all the belts against Jose Ramirez. I want to face that fight and become the first (Scottish) undisputed world champion since the great Ken Buchanan.
“That would be awesome, that’s a goal of mine, but for now it’s time to rest and recharge the batteries because I have had a hard 18 months.
“My last four fights have been world-class and tough opponents so I think I deserve a little bit of a break now and I’m going to relax and enjoy some time off with my family and spend a bit of time at home.”
Hearn believes Ruiz tricked fans into thinking he’s lost weight
Eddie Hearn has poured cold water on Andy Ruiz Jr’s apparent ‘body transformation’, claiming he doesn’t believe the 30-year-old has visibly lost weight.
Earlier this month, the Mexican-American heavyweight champion, who will make his first defence in a rematch with Anthony Joshua on December 7, caused a stir by posting slimmed down pictures on social media.
However, Hearn is sceptical of the images after seeing more recent training footage of Ruiz Jr.
When asked if he felt the fighter had trimmed down, Hearn told iFL TV: “I don’t think so, I thought he looked quite tubby.
“I actually thought he looked heavier than he did previously.
“Make your own mind up. That clip that I saw, which was him training in San Diego, I didn’t think that he looked slimmer than he did last camp.
“There was one picture of him leaning forward [on Instagram].
“The old ‘lean forward’, tucked back, with a little pout, can make you lose half a stone. Maybe he’s done that.
“I thought he looked heavy, I thought he looked a bit slower actually – maybe I’m just used to his speed now.
“He’s a bit tubby, isn’t he? I’m a bit tubby.”