During his time as heavyweight champion, Deontay Wilder declared himself to be the ‘hardest hitting puncher in boxing history’.
While this is of course entirely subjective and will never be factually proven, KO percentage statistics do appear to support the former WBC title-holder’s bold claim.
Wilder has the highest knockout ratio of any heavyweight champion past or present, as he’s scored 41 early finishes from his 44 fights to date.
Also near the top is Anthony Joshua. Despite losing his unified heavyweight world titles to Andy Ruiz Jr before regaining them last year, AJ still has 21 KOs from 24 fights in total.
Check out our full list of the top ten heavyweight champion KO percentages below.
Disclaimer: Some early champions from the pre-1940s era were unable to be considered for this list as their records are disputed and/or incomplete.
Whyte told to ‘look in the mirror’ and blame Hearn as title fight wait goes on
Andy Ruiz Jr nearly drops his coach out by accident after connecting with vicious hook
Bellew backs AJ to beat Fury, but says he must KO him inside five rounds
Confirmation of Fury vs Joshua still ‘miles away’ – but one thing has been agreed
two for one
Roberto Duran knocked out Sugar Ray Leonard’s brother moments after first fight
Boxing schedule 2020: All bouts and results plus postponements due to coronavirus
WBC respond to Whyte legal action: ‘I have no idea what Dillian wishes to accomplish’
‘You’re an a***hole’ – Tyson Fury quits stay-home workout, wife Paris not impressed
Jarrell Miller return fight reported as he is approved for boxing licence again
Watch Roy Jones Jr hit a man so hard his eyes start to roll around in his head
10. Shannon Briggs – 77.9% KO Ratio (68 Fights, 53 KOs)
9. Mike Tyson – 78.6% KO Ratio (56 Fights, 44 KOs)
8. Charles Martin – 80.7% KO Ratio (31 Fights, 25 KOs)
7. David Haye – 81.3% KO Ratio (32 Fights, 26 KOs)
6. George Forman – 84.0% KO Ratio (81 Fights, 68 KOs)
5. Frank Bruno – 84.4% KO Ratio (45 Fights, 38 KOs)
4. Vitali Klitschko – 87.2% KO Ratio (47 Fights, 41 KOs)
3. Anthony Joshua – 87.5% KO Ratio (24 Fights, 21 KOs)
2. Rocky Marciano – 87.8% KO Ratio (49 Fights, 43 KOs)
1. Deontay Wilder – 93.2% KO Ratio (44 Fights, 41 KOs)